No one likes the idea of having a dog wear a muzzle but trust me .... sometimes it’s the best thing for everyone involved, even the dog!
A muzzle protects the handler from a nasty bite & it drastically reduces the emotional trauma for the dog because he won’t get backlash for a bite.
You’ll be surprised how easy it is to get your dog comfortable with a muzzle! 🤯
If you have an aggressive dog that panics when handles or in new situations, it will be much easier & safer to train with a muzzle on but you need to prepare at home before going to the vet & just putting it on suddenly. If your dog is afraid of the muzzle & the vet you may end up frightening your dog further.
Here’s how to teach your dog to love the muzzle!
1. Choose a muzzle. We use The Baskerville Dog Muzzle, which is a basket type design that is great for long snouts. The dog can still pant, take treats and, drink water.
2. Let your dog check the muzzle out. If your dog shows interest mark with “yes” & give a treat. Let your dog move toward it on their own. If they don’t show interest put it on the ground with food scattered around it.
3. Smear some peanut butter on the inside & place food in your hand where you are holding the muzzle. Your dog should only be able to get the treat if the put their nose in the muzzle.
4. Don’t pressure your dog !
5. Eventually fasten the muzzle & continue to reward